Mazda MX-5 Expert Review 2016

2016 Mazda MX-5 Review


Today we are with the 4th generation of one of the most successful roadster of all times, the Mazda MX-5.

At the end of 1970s the chief executive of the Mazda asked a motoring journalist:

- “in your opinion what kind of car should we manufacture?"

The journalist gave this answer to the Mazda’s president:

- “It should be small, light, fast and must give joy to its driver.

In short, just as the English roadsters but contrary to them, it should start trouble-free in the mornings

and should not leave large oil deposit when left in the garage for the night.”

Few years after this conversation, Mazda developed the MX-5 and have bestowed it to the car market. From that day to the present the MX-5 which sold almost 1 million, has been one of the most successful and popular car of all times.

Alright, is the 4th generation as successful as the other generations? In my opinion it is very successful. The MX-5 that I had a chance to drive from the airport definitely still continues to put a smile to its driver’s face.

DESIGN
2016 Mazda MX-5 ExteriorFirst lets talk a bit about the design and later consider the engine and driving features.

What about that?

The designers of the Mazda made an effort to make this MX-5 appear more masculine compared to the previous generation. I don’t know if it appears more masculine but it is certain that it looks more aggressive. In my opinion the MX-5 that looks like an angry Far Eastern when viewed from the front, certainly has an attention grabbing design.

This small car has an exact roadster silhouette from the sides. When you observe the Mazda MX-5 from the rear I think it has a design mix of first generation Z4 and F-Type.

INTERIOR
2016 Mazda MX-5 Interior
Come on lets analyze the interior now. Naturally, it is impossible to mention practicality since this is a roadster. There is no glove compartment here. Places for your small items are quite limited. There is a small area under the armrest. Only a mobile phone will be able to fit here. And there is very small cubbyhole between the two seats.

Further, for your drinks there are detachable cup-holders but when you want to use them and attach them here and for example put a water bottle in it then it becomes impossible to open this cubbyhole and therefore lose its usefulness. In my opinion, it has sober yet stylish cockpit that harbors just sufficient things needed in a roadster.

I normally don’t care much for door panels that are same color as the body but I frankly liked these panels advance as if a body part and merge with the lines on the bonnet.

I believe we have adequately talked about the design, come on let us drive the car and share together how much pleasure it offers.

At last, we are all behind the steering wheel of the Mazda MX-5. Frankly, I had a chance to enjoy MX-5 before shooting. Now come the time to share this joy with you.

ENGINE
The new Mazda MX-5 will be in some markets with two engine alternatives as 1.5 and 2.0 liters. Both engine alternatives will be offered to the market with only manual gearbox. But frankly I am not complaining about this because manual gearbox offers the pleasure of this car exactly and works in harmony with the engine.

I am testing MX-5 with 1.5 liters petrol engine, which develops about 130 HP and 150 Nm of torque. This engine that reaches 100 km from zero in 8,3 seconds has a maximum speed of 204 km/h. Of course, these values may come very low to all of you but as the interested will know the Mazda MX-5 is not a car consists of only values.

This car is famous mostly for its lightness, nimbleness, smallness, agility and excellent road handling. To tell the truth its 4th generation advances adorably as the previous three generations.

This base model 1.5 liters petrol engine version that I am driving is lighter as well as smaller than the first model even with many added technologic paraphernalia. This of course has preserved the classic spirit, the Mazda MX-5 spirit.

As I have previously mentioned the Mazda MX-5 is not a car consisting of values. The most important feature of the Mazda MX-5 is due to its low-slung structure it arouses a feeling of nearly perfect road handling.

As you will be able to follow from the display, I am driving on rather crooked roads and I am advancing on this very narrow road with joy and pushing the car to its limits and it almost never show a sign to run-off-road. The steering as well as the gearbox work in harmony with the engine and contribute to your speedy and safety drive.

Just as when I was talking about the exterior of the car the Mazda MX-5 is a roadster up to a hilt. Therefore, you should know what to expect from the Mazda MX-5 very well.

2016 Mazda MX-5 TrunkIn other words can you take many articles when you go for a long voyage? No!

Very small boot its got, may be a small bag will fit, and as I have mentioned earlier in the interior there is almost no storage area but MX-5 has a feel of very enjoyable driving.

Probably, the Mazda MX-5 will be your home's second car but you will look forward to be able to drive that second car. This little monster is very excited to enter every curve and move as if looking forward the next one. The steering is so reactive and conveys your commands so fast to the tires, I had a feeling that frankly as if this car thinks beforehand and engage the curve. Its road handling is so good that even when I had forced the car as you have seen the ESP almost never tried to step in. Because the car sticks so good to the road that it is in no need of ESP. In other words, however much you force it, I think you really have to bullshit to run this car off road.

If we have to talk about the cockpit of the Mazda MX-5 a little, I can say that it has somewhat sober, somewhat stylish design. We have a manual gearbox with short passage. There is here in the center a multimedia screen. You have a chance to use it with touch as well as from the lever here.

But did I switch on the music system?

''No''

Did I play with the screen?

Frankly I did a bit when stationary but I cannot say that I did when on the move, because this car is not consist of these toys, you really have to focus on driving pleasure.

We have been driving this car since 12 o’clock and always without the top only stopping shortly to shoot. Now the time is almost 18.30 and I don’t want to get off the car. But there is nothing to be done; we are almost at the end of our shoot.

To tell the truth I have driven many rear wheel drive cars up to now. I have driven many roadsters. I don’t remember driving any car that integrates with its driver, and answers its driver’s wishes so well and put a smile to its driver as MX-5.

CONSUMPTION
And finally, lets consider the fuel consumption of this car. I have been driving this car for approximately 150 km up to now. And as you have observed, I have always driven with performance and always on high rpm. Anyhow, it indicates in my opinion quite a low value of 7.2 liters. And this, in my opinion, is a plus point to be added to its assets. Of course, you all probably say that I have praised the car too much and don’t I have any complaints.

To tell the truth, when you evaluate this car you have to know, just as I have previously said, what this car is. In other words this car naturally is not the fastest car, it definitely is not the jauntiest car. With this car people will not look at you when you stop at the traffic lights and you will not be the fastest to start. But I can assure you, on joyful and winding roads and also if you have opportunity on the track you will have safe and enjoyable time.

There are of course some things to complain about just as the storage deficiency. We can mention that its usage is not very practical.

2016 Mazda MX-5 SeatsApart from that, for example the steering wheel adjustment is only up and down. The seat adjustments do not offer you many options. Very tall people will not be able drive this car. Especially, when the hood is down they will be very unhappy and uncomfortable but someone at my height, on a fine weather like this, on a joyful road, will have much pleasure.

Strictly speaking, we are now ending the day and with your permission I would like to end this part inside the car instead of the outside. Because I still have a bit of time left with the MX-5 and I would like to pass it with joy. I would like to enjoy the bends some more.

Look after yourselves.

See you...


0 comments: